Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Oatmeal Knitting

Not long ago I mentioned in a post that I was asked by a certain young man to knit the Dr. Who Scarf. The yarn it takes to make it looks like enough to make an afghan really!



The scarf is done in all garter stitch. I call this "oatmeal knitting". It's like comfort food. Knitting without following a pattern, or needing to count or think is comforting.

Of course, knitting this much garter stitch can become so monotonous that you want to put the needles through your eyes. That's why I have decided to work on this project when I need something mindless to knit.

I'll knit it while I'm watching TV (and I mean really watching, not just listening and not looking up). I'll knit it when I'm in the car in the dark (as a passenger of course). I'll knit it when I only have time to pick it up for a moment or two (and I don't have time to figure out where I left off in a pattern). I'll knit it when I'm under the weather (and I don't have the concentration for anything else).


I've got 100 rows done already. I should be done in no time!

1 comment: